With a population of around 300 people, Wakool is a slice of Riverina heaven – ideal for camping, fishing trips, sleeping under star-encrusted skies at night and quiet time with family or friends.
Wakool is located 797km from Sydney, 313km from Melbourne, 595km from Adelaide and 63km west of Deniliquin, making it easily within reach from most major capitals for weekend trips.
Famed for its fertile soils and the production of cereals, dairy, grazing and wool, the introduction of irrigation with the building of Stevens Weir on the Edward River allowed rice growing to commence in 1942.
Augustus Morris explored the area and named the Wakool River in 1842. A survey took place in 1867 and settlement began in the 1890s. The Wakool Post Office opened on 1 January 1870, and remained in operation until 1874. It reopened in 1926, and remains open to this day.
Construction of the railway line from Echuca to Balranald put Wakool on the map, and a railway station was established in 1926.
At the end of World War 2, many new families were welcomed to the area through soldier settlement. Many descendants of these families are still living in the area today.